A Gut-Healing Hot Chocolate You Can Sip All Year Round
The smell of hot chocolate has certainly engulfed the air. And this year, your hot chocolate doesn't have to be sugar-filled. Instead, try making a gut healing hot chocolate that will last you into spring and heal from the inside out.
Adding ingredients like turmeric and gelatin can help heal your gut lining. Gelatin also supports a healthy sleep pattern and healthy joints. That's why this recipe is perfect for winter and into spring!
According to MBG, "this humble root, [turmeric], gets a lot of attention for its numerous properties, which can be more powerful than medication: antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer, antibacterial, antimicrobial. Turmeric can help reverse conditions like arthritis, leaky gut, and Alzheimer’s." It is one reason it is often mixed into a variety of drinks and can be almost disguised if you aren't a huge fan of the taste.
- 1 cup almond milk
- ½ cup water (add more for a bigger cup of hot chocolate)
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne
- 1 tablespoon powdered gelatin
- 1 teaspoon of sweetener
- optional: coconut or sunflower oil
1. In a small saucepan, heat the almond milk, water, cacao powder, turmeric, cinnamon, cayenne, gelatin, sweetener, and coconut oil on medium heat, stirring constantly, until hot, about 2 minutes.
2. Using a blender of your choice, blend the ingredients. Serve!